In 1725, the council decided to build a new church. Following several changes to Albrecht Stürler’s project, it was built by the town’s master builder Niklaus Schiltknecht (1687-1735) between 1726 and 1729 and consecrated in November.
It is free-standing on all sides and is considered one of the most magnificent reformed baroque churches in Switzerland. It is unclear whether Schiltknecht was the sole architect of the church, as only his position as foreman has been preserved in writing. Stürler’s idea of the hall church with the façade design facing the alley was built, but there is also evidence that the installation of the galleries, the design of the north façade and the change of the roof from a cranked ridge to a simple gabled roof can be traced back to Schiltknecht alone. The final building does not correspond to any of the submitted project plans, but some details from the various project plans can be found in the construction plans. At this time, it was customary to assign the planning to a single client rather than just one person.
In keeping with the rectangular plan, the exterior has the unity and austerity of pre-baroque churches in Rome or the Huguenot churches (“temples”) from the first half of the 17th century. The elegant church tower pierces the gabled roof behind the independent front. The short, visible part of the shaft with four dials is topped by a Welsch dome and a small bell tower, covered with a slender pointed helmet. Slender round-arched high windows are effectively arranged. The richly profiled cornice is crowned with a vase-studded balustrade and ornamental obelisks at the corners.
A strong portal aedicule consisting of two pairs of columns stands in front of the two-storey pilaster arrangement on the main façade. A strong segmental gable and an upper storey with flanking volutes, tympanum and dove of the Holy Spirit are enthroned above it.
The aim was to create a pure sermon hall without a choir section. The north-south oriented rectangular interior is characterized by 14 monolithic Corinthian columns made of sandstone arranged in an octagon and a tall freestanding stone pulpit from the Bernese Baroque period in the northern part of the nave. The central portal, framed by pairs of free-standing columns and flanked by side portals, leads into the tower hall. Inside, mighty columns separate the gallery-lined gallery from the core of the room. The stucco barrel and the octagonal column closure of the narrow sides form a central space. The Régence stucco of the entire ceiling zone above the nave and the galleries, executed by Joseph Anton Feuchtmayer, is the most important work of its kind in Bern.